If you are not encouraged by the prospect of going green to protect the environment, then the personal financial benefits may be the right motivation for you. Like most people, you may have been nurturing the belief that eco-friendly approaches are expensive and not sustainable to cover all aspects of our lives. But it will interest you to know that people live entirely off the grid and on natural sources, and you can do the same.
In this article, we will show you how you can improve your finances with eco-friendly approaches. Here we will provide examples contrary to some schools of thought that going green can be expensive. On the contrary, with advanced technology and increasing investment in eco-friendly products and services, it has become relatively affordable and accessible to lead an eco-friendly life.
Below are ways going green can help you save more money:
Make smart decisions with new appliances
You should be aware that newer appliances such as refrigerators, washing machines, pressing irons, heaters and other electrical appliances use less power to function. As a result, reducing electrical costs and reducing your carbon footprint has become more economical and eco-friendly to change your devices to the latest eco-friendly appliances.
It is time to make a smart decision by engaging eco-friendly brands for new and economical appliances in your home. For example, it would be best to change that old model water heater to a new one with an automation system that can help you conserve energy. Also, change your alternative power supply from a fossil fuel generator to a solar panel. Also, seek to repair smaller devices like toasters, dryers, and microwaves rather than throwing them away in the landfill and causing more pollution.
Maintain a smart food consumption approach
The next thing you should consider in going green and saving money is your food consumption. We understand that the cost of organic food can be high because they do not use fertilizer and pesticides to aid in their production. It is a long, painful process in producing organic rather than using some of the latest scientific approaches. But there are other ways you can save money by going green with your food consumption approaches, such as
- Do some gardening and start producing some of your food.
We understand that you cannot produce all you eat, but you will save money with your garden to source some of your food. Also, now you will spend less on groceries since you have some of the food you will need from your garden.
- You should patronize your local farmers and buy from them, and you will save money going to the grocery store and purchasing products brought far away.
- Buy eco-friendly food products to help promote their business as they are affordable, and save the environment.
- Save leftovers in the fridge rather than throwing them away, and they end up in the landfill. Also, with leftovers, you will have food to eat rather than going out or preparing food, thus saving money.
Buy reusable items
One step you should take to reduce expenses in your home is to buy reusable items and eliminate single used items where possible. For example, why would you need a paper towel when you do not have to replace a sponge or rag, which you can use for a more extended period with adequate management? Furthermore, it would be best to replace paper wipes with wash clothes, paper napkins with cloth napkins, and use coffee mugs instead of paper coffee cups.
With these actions, you will reduce the amount of your waste going to landfills and save money to replace those one-time use items.
Managing your electricity usage
With the rate of electricity increasing, reducing your carbon footprints by managing your electricity usage will save you money. Using the eco-friendly approaches, you can take the following approaches to reduce power wastage:
- Turn off light bulbs during the day is no need as everywhere is bright with daylight.
- Buy energy-saving bulbs that last longer, so you do not need to spend money replacing bulbs while helping the environment.
- Ensure that all electric appliances are switched off when going out reduces electricity wasting away.
- You reduce the cost of electricity by getting rid of the electrical products you need. Also, there is no point in buying appliances that are not necessary but will end up making you spend more on electricity.
- Find alternative renewable sources of energy since most of them, like solar, have become convenient and affordable to use. Although the initial cost of some of these renewable sources may be expensive, you will spend less on power generation for your use in the long run.
- It is best if you don’t buy appliances you don't need, especially those consuming electricity. Ask what is the need of buying another television at home when the one you have is working fine? Save money and save the environment.
Buying Used Items
You probably know that buying used items will help reduce the carbon footprint on the earth. Well, buying used items can also save you money as they are less costly and last longer than some of these latest fragile products. You will need to find a reliable used item shop to get a quality product at fair prices.
Now you would agree that going green is not expensive, as it is more economical and purposeful to save the earth. In addition, you can see that using eco-friendly approaches has benefits as you help keep your environment clean.
We at Eco Bravo will want to hear from you to drop your comment below about this topic. You should signup to our newsletter to not miss out on our exciting and informative updates. Also, share and follow us across our available social media platforms for real-time updates and access to previous and latest tips from your favorite eco-friendly platform.